Michael E. Lyons
Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Phone: (240) 428-6800
Email: E-mail Me
Michael E. Lyons is “Of Counsel” with the Law Office of Ralph W. Powers, Jr., P.C. and handles family law, personal injury, workers’ compensation and complex civil litigation matters.
For over seven years, Mike has used his law degree to serve others. Following his graduation from the University of Baltimore in 2007, Mike joined the Law Office of Ralph W. Powers, Jr. and handled construction, contract, personal injury, estate and criminal cases in all of four Southern Maryland counties. Mike’s success as a litigator has been tremendous.
In 2010, Mike followed a family tradition of military service and joined the United State Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Corps. Mike was commissioned as an Air Force officer on September 11, 2010. While in the Air Force, Mike handled hundreds of criminal investigations and prosecutions in Japan and New Jersey. His cases included prosecuting DUI, drug, fraud, child pornography and rape crimes. Mike also deployed to Afghanistan and worked with Afghan judges, lawyers and tribal leaders to build a modern legal system.
In 2014, Mike accepted a reserve commission as an Air Force JAG and returned to civilian practice here in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Mike practices out of his own firm, the Law Office of Michael E. Lyons, P.C., which is located above our law office, but regularly handles cases with our firm under an “Of Counsel” relationship.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Personal Injury
- Workers’ Compensation
- Complex Civil Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified as court-martial Trial Counsel , 2011
- Maryland, 2007
- Washington, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 2011
- U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals, 2011
- U.S. Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals, 2011
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. cum laude – 2007
- Towson University, Towson
- B.S. – 2004
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Major: Economics
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 2007 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Office of the Maryland Attorney General, Law Clerk, 2006 – 2007
- Office of Senator Paul S. Sarbanes, Legislative Intern, 2002
- United State Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Corps, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate
- Law Office of Ralph W. Powers, Jr., P.C., Trial Attorney, August 2007-October 2010